No fewer than 20 people were killed on Sunday by suspected herdsmen in Okokolo village, Agatu LGA of Benue State.
The herdsmen also burnt down several houses and valuables.
It was also gathered that corpses of some persons were yet to be found.
The Caretaker Chairman of Agatu Local Government area Council, Hon Usman Alilu, who confirmed the development, said he had directed soldiers to the troubled area.
“We are on top of the situation now I’m Ikwulono, thanks for your genuine concern and your tireless efforts,” the Agatu Caretaker Chairman said.
One Mrs Mary Adakonye, a Health Worker, sustained bullet wounds and has been rushed to hospitals for medical attention.
As of the time of this report, those confirmed dead included:
1. Mr Baba Odoje
2. Mr Shaidu Magaji (a retired military man).
3. Mr Oloche Obiabo (Kaddo).
4. Mr Adehi Imaikwu
5. Mr Maji Baba
6. Ngbede Ibrahim (Ejeh-Akpabana son)
8. Mr Ekoja (Olundo’s husband)
9. Adams Dogara (Pst. Dogara’s son)
10. Late Francis Idu wife and her two Children (there names not mentioned)
12. Godwin Color
13. Musa Adanu (Alhaji-Nasouta’s Father)
The issue of herdsmen attack has been rife in recent times. Just few days ago, they allegedly attacked or killed children in Kaduna State.