News
Senate rejects bill on private investigators

The Senate on Wednesday stood down a bill for an act to prescribe standard and condition of licence for operation and practice of private investigations in the country.
The piece of legislation, sponsored by Senator Osita Ngwu (PDP, Enugu West) was rejected by the majority of lawmakers during debate on the floor of the Red Chamber.
Earlier in his lead debate, Senator Ngwu, who is the Senate Minority Whip, said the bill seeks amongst others, to provide a framework for the licensing and practice of private investigators in the country.
He added that it also seeks to provide for a system of regulation, control and conduct of the practice so as to maintain professional standards.
According to him, the practice of private investigators is well established in countries like the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, and Canada.
Senator Ngwu noted that while some private investigators are former law enforcement agents, others are former military and intelligence personnel.
The modern trend across the globe, he added, is the need to have them licensed so as to maintain ethical standards.
“The objectives of the bill include fraud prevention, detection, assessment and resolution; corporate fraud and risk management services; insurance fraud and claims investigation; aviation accident and loss investigation; marine loss investigation; occupational health and safety incident investigation; and witness location and bail bond defaulters etc.
“The bill defines the scope of the profession; ensures standards; provides penalty for professional negligence; prescribes offenses for operation without license and encourages industry-based training to maintain capacity.
“The bill essentially seeks to professionalise the industry and has no financial implication,” he said.
However, during debate on the bill, while the Senate Deputy Minority Leader, Senator Olalere Oyewumi, and Senator Victor Umeh supported the bill, others like senators Adams Oshiomhole, Iya Abbas, and Mustapha Saliu kicked against it, describing it as recipe for personal fight.
Apparently flowing with the mood of the senators, the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, called on the sponsor of the bill, to withdraw it for further legislative inputs, which he hurriedly did .
News
BREAKING: NSA receives ex-NYSC DG Tsiga, 18 other rescued kidnap victims

The National Counter Terrorism Center has handed over the former Director General of the National Youth Service Corps, Maharazu Tsiga, and 18 other rescued kidnap victims to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
The handover took place in Abuja on Thursday, marking a significant milestone in ongoing efforts to combat kidnapping and insecurity in the country.
PUNCH Online reports that Tsiga was abducted alongside other persons on February 5, 2025, from his hometown of Tisga in Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State.
He, however, regained freedom on Wednesday after spending 56 days in captivity.
During the handover, Ribadu commended the efforts of the security forces and intelligence agencies involved in the rescue operation.
He reiterated the federal government’s commitment to enhancing national security and ensuring the safety of all citizens.
PUNCH
News
I did not collapse – Wike reveals those behind rumour

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike on Thursday debunked reports that he collapsed last week.
Wike described the reports of him collapsing as the handiwork of “baseless” people trying to score cheap political points.
He spoke after inspecting four ongoing projects in the FCT, including the International Conference Centre, ICC.
Posts circulating on X had alleged that the minister collapsed at an event on Friday in the FCT.
The rumour also claimed that Wike was immediately rushed to an undisclosed hospital, where he received treatment.
But his media aide, Lere Olayinka had dismissed the claims, describing them as false.
Business
Lagos Traffic Jam: Explore Flexible Work Arrangements, Sanwo Olu Tells Lagosians

Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo Olu has urged businesses and organizations across Lagos to explore flexible work arrangements, including remote work and hybrid models, pending the complete repairs of the Independence Bridge.
During the governor’s visit to the bridge this morning, Sanwo Olu noted that a temporary shift in work culture can go a long way in reducing traffic pressure and supporting our collective well-being.
He apologised to Lagosain for the inconvinences experienced on the road yesterday noting that the decison to fix the Independence Bridge was not made overnight.
” I sincerely apologise to all Lagosians for the severe traffic congestion experienced yesterday. I understand the frustration, delays, and disruption this has caused in your daily lives. As someone who also moves through this city, I feel your pain, and we do not take your patience and resilience for granted.”
“The decision to fix the Independence Bridge was not made overnight. This repair has been in the works for over three years, carefully planned to avert a potential disaster. The structural integrity of the bridge had deteriorated, and delaying this intervention any further would have put lives at risk.”
” While this repair is necessary for the safety of all, I acknowledge the burden it has placed on commuters. We are working closely with all relevant agencies to improve traffic management, and find immediate solutions to ease the congestion.”
” I assure you that we are not just watching from the sidelines; we have deployed additional traffic monitoring officials and security personnel to ensure traffic flows freely.
I also want to urge businesses and organisations across Lagos to explore flexible work arrangements, including remote work and hybrid models. A temporary shift in work culture can go a long way in reducing traffic pressure and supporting our collective wellbeing.”
” Let us embrace innovative solutions that keep our city moving while we carry out critical infrastructure repairs. Together, we can build a more resilient, responsive, and liveable Lagos.
Lagosians, I ask for your continued patience and cooperation. Your safety remains our priority, and we are committed to ensuring that our city remains not only a hub of progress but also a place where infrastructure serves the people effectively.”
-
Business8 hours ago
Lagos Traffic Jam: Explore Flexible Work Arrangements, Sanwo Olu Tells Lagosians
-
Sports1 week ago
Late Zimbabwe equalizer dent Super Eagles World Cup hope
-
Business1 week ago
Aviation unions threaten nationwide airport shutdown over Customs officers’ assault
-
Politics1 week ago
Peter Obi is a failed politician, has no history of democratic activism – Bwala
-
News5 days ago
HIV: Lagos Tasks Residents on Empathy During Eid Celebration
-
News1 week ago
INEC notifies Senator Natasha over recall, states next action
-
Business1 week ago
inDrive Celebrates Drivers’ Dedication During Ramadan with Special Appreciation Campaign
-
News1 week ago
56-year-old woman remanded for N25m visa scam in Osun