News
FG launches hazard risk analysis for disaster preparedness, mitigation

as Shettima assures FG’s goal is to protect citizens from ecological risks
The federal government has launched the 2024 Hazard Risk Countrywide Analysis aimed at strengthening disaster preparedness and mitigation efforts across the country.
Vice President Kashim Shettima, speaking during the launch event on Thursday in Abuja, called for enhanced collaboration among stakeholders to address Nigeria’s vulnerabilities to disasters and climate change as well as building a safer and more resilient Nigeria.
According to a statement issued by his media aide, Stanley Nkwocha, the VP reaffirmed the federal government’s commitment to safeguarding lives and livelihoods from ecological and other risks.
He said, “This launch is a testament to our resolve as a nation to confront the uncertainties of our ecological realities with informed strategies. We are committed to protecting citizens from ecological risks while building the infrastructure and mechanisms necessary for disaster prevention and response.”
The report, developed under the leadership of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) with technical support from UNICEF, offers a detailed analysis of Nigeria’s vulnerability to hazards such as floods, droughts, and public health emergencies.
It provides policymakers, emergency responders, and community leaders with critical data to improve early warning systems and enhance risk mitigation strategies.
Noting that the nation cannot prepare for risks it does not know, Shettima said the document provides the foundation for understanding the magnitude of the challenges facing Nigeria, empowering government “to move from reactive to proactive strategies in addressing disasters.”
He noted recent challenges in Nigeria, including devastating floods and outbreaks of diseases like cholera, which have displaced thousands and claimed lives, just as he explained that these recurring disasters bring to the fore the urgency of robust preparedness mechanisms.
“While we may not prevent every disaster, we can reduce their impact significantly by institutionalizing risk assessment and continuously monitoring hazards and vulnerabilities. This analysis is not just a tool—it is a lifeline for building community resilience,”he said.
The Vice President commended NEMA, development partners, and other stakeholders for their dedication in producing the report, describing it as a landmark achievement that reflects the administration’s focus on proactive governance.
“This is not the conclusion of our efforts; it is the beginning of a new chapter. We must now work together to use this report as a springboard for policies and actions that will make Nigeria more resilient against future risks,” he added.
He also expressed gratitude to international partners, including UN agencies and NGOs, for their contributions to the nation’s disaster preparedness and response initiatives.
“Protecting lives and property is a collective responsibility, and this launch symbolizes the unity of purpose that we need to build a safer Nigeria,” Shettima concluded.
Earlier in his remarks, Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Benjamin Kalu, said the launch of the report was timely.
He reaffirmed the commitment of the House of Representatives to leveraging the findings of the report to make legislations that will impact crisis management and disaster mitigation.
Kalu identified three key areas of the National Assembly’s legislative support for disaster management to include strengthening of early warning systems; funding for risk mitigation and community-centered interventions aimed at building grassroots capacity for disaster mitigation.
In his goodwill message, Chairman of Senate Committee on Special Duties, Kaka Lawan, congratulated the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and other stakeholders on the successful launch of the report.
He said the launch of the report is a giant stride and a step in the right direction, pledging the support of the Senate to the actualization of the mandate of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and other related agencies in the country, especially in enhancing the preparedness of the country to disasters and crises.
In her remarks, the Director General of NEMA, Zubaida Umar, said the launch of the 2024 Countrywide Risk Analysis for Nigeria marked a milestone in stakeholders’ collective effort to enhance disaster preparedness and response.
She said the document will serve as a vital tool to support the development and review of Nigeria’s preparedness plans and related frameworks which will position the foundation for a safer and more resilient country.
Umar said preparedness is the cornerstone of disaster management and a shared responsibility to ensure that all actors respond swiftly and efficiently to emergencies when they occur.
On her part, the UNICEF Country Representative, Cristian Munduate, said the report provides a countrywide mapping of occurrences such as flash flooding, conflict and disease outbreaks, among others, across the country.
She said the 2024 Countrywide Risk Analysis for Nigeria aligns with President Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, especially in building a disaster-resilient nation and caring for the welfare of vulnerable groups.
DailySun
News
NAFDAC reopens Onitsha drug market, issues fresh conditions to traders

The Director General of National Agency for Food Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye has announced the reopening of Onitsha Head Bridge drug market, popularly known as ‘Ogbo Ogwu’.
NAFDAC also announced that shop owners must meet strict administrative conditions before the reopening of their shops to prevent a recurrence of the issues that led to the closure.
This was made known on Wednesday in a statement signed by Adeyeye, NAFDAC DG.
According to the DG, shop owners are required to complete documentation and clearance procedures before their shops could be unsealed.
Adeyeye also disclosed that a dedicated NAFDAC desk has been established to facilitate the process efficiently, ensuring compliance with regulatory standards.
She stated that only shops that meet the conditions will be allowed to resume operations.
Parts of the statement read: “The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has reopened the Bridgehead Drug Market in Onitsha following a month-long closure for sanitisation and regulatory enforcement.
“To prevent a recurrence of the issues that led to the closure, NAFDAC implemented strict administrative conditions for reopening.
“Shop owners were required to complete documentation and clearance procedures before their shops could be unsealed.
“A dedicated NAFDAC desk was established to facilitate this process efficiently, ensuring compliance with regulatory standards.
“The Director-General of NAFDAC, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, emphasises that the market has now been reopened, with all shop owners directed through their union to obtain and sign an undertaking, along with a penalty for past violations of distribution regulations.
“Only shops that meet these conditions will be allowed to resume operations.”
News
Tinubu departs Nigeria for France

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will today, Wednesday, depart the country for Paris, France, on a short working visit.
Tinubu’s spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, said this in a statement issued in Abuja on Wednesday.
According to the statement, during the visit, Tinubu will appraise his administration’s mid-term performance and assess key milestones.
Onanuga said the president will also use the retreat to review the progress of ongoing reforms and engage in strategic planning ahead of his administration’s second anniversary.
“This period of reflection will inform plans to deepen ongoing reforms and accelerate national development priorities in the coming year.
“While away, President Tinubu will remain fully engaged with his team and continue to oversee governance activities.
“He will return to Nigeria in about a fortnight,” the statement added.
Politics
Edo tribunal dismisses petition against Gov Okpebholo, APC

The Edo governorship election tribunal has dismissed the petition by Action Alliance (AA) and Adekunle Rufai Omoaje against Governor Monday Okpebholo and his political platform, the All Progressives Congress (APC), as winners of the September 21, 2024, governorship election in the state.
The three-member tribunal, in a unanimous judgment yesterday in Abuja, threw out the petition for being frivolous and lacking in merit.
In the first judgment of the Tribunal yesterday, the Justice Wilfred Kpochi-led tribunal held that Adekunle Rufai Omoaje, who filed the joint petition, has no locus standi to institute the case.
Among others, the Tribunal held that Omoaje did not participate in the governorship election and as such, has no power to question the validity of the election.
The Tribunal also held that Omoaje’s grouse against the election was that he was not recognized as the National Chairman of the Action Alliance for the purpose of nominating a candidate for the poll, but it was held that his claims had no basis in the Electoral Act 2022.
Omoaje had in the petition asked the Tribunal to declare the declaration of Okpebholo and APC as winners of the election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as illegal, unlawful, unconditional and null and void on non-compliance with the Electoral Act.
He also alleged corruption and that Okpebholo and APC did not win the majority of lawful votes in the election.
Omoaje also alleged that AA was not allowed to nominate a lawful governorship candidate for the election, having not signed the nomination form as the National Chairman of the party.
INEC declared that Okpebholo of the APC won 291,667 votes to defeat his closest rival, Asue Ighodalo of the Peoples Democratic Party PDP, who polled 247,655 votes in the election.
-
Sports1 week ago
Late Zimbabwe equalizer dent Super Eagles World Cup hope
-
News7 days ago
INEC notifies Senator Natasha over recall, states next action
-
Politics1 week ago
Peter Obi is a failed politician, has no history of democratic activism – Bwala
-
Business1 week ago
Aviation unions threaten nationwide airport shutdown over Customs officers’ assault
-
News5 days ago
HIV: Lagos Tasks Residents on Empathy During Eid Celebration
-
Politics1 week ago
Tinubu’s Rivers move assault on democracy, echoes military rule – Wabara
-
Business1 week ago
inDrive Celebrates Drivers’ Dedication During Ramadan with Special Appreciation Campaign
-
News1 week ago
56-year-old woman remanded for N25m visa scam in Osun