The Federal Government is yet to release the fund it promised Edo State for the hosting of the 2020 National Sports Festival with less than a week to its commencement.
Musa Ebomhiana, a Project Manager in the Media and Communications Sub-Committee of the festival’s Local Organizing Committee, disclosed this on Sunday in Benin.
He told the News Agency of Nigeria however that, while the Edo State Government still remained hopeful the fund would be released, an early release would be better.
“This will ensure smooth planning for the nation’s number one sports fiesta,” he said.
Ebomhiana pointed out that the need to have a smooth planning was the reason the state’s Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu, had last week appealed for the fund’s early release.
“We are taking seriously the promise by the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, that money will be released before the commencement of the festival.
“We know and are sure that the Federal Government will not want to disappoint the youths and sports enthusiasts. We believe that it will do the needful.”
Ebomhiana however said all that was needed, aside fund, for the successful hosting of the country’s biggest sports event had been put in place by the Edo government.